- What Is The Best Golf Travel Bag?
- AmazonBasics Soft-Sided Golf Club Travel Bag Case with Wheels
- SKB 2SKB-4814W Deluxe ATA Golf Case
- CaddyDaddy Golf Constrictor 2 Travel Cover
- Caddy Daddy Enforcer Hard Top Golf Travel Bag
- Bag Boy Golf T-10 Hard Top Travel Cover
- Sun Mountain Clubglider Journey Wheeled Cover
- Titleist Golf Club Travel Cover by ClubGlove
- OGIO 2018 Mutant Travel Cover
- Samsonite Golf Deluxe 3 Piece Travel Set
- Bag Boy T-2000 Travel Cover
- And The Winner Is…
- Samsonite Golf Deluxe 3 Piece Travel Set
While you may love playing golf at your local course, you probably also enjoy traveling to play at some great courses and resorts. Before you take off on your next trip, make sure you have a travel bag that will provide you more club protection than your head covers. Nothing will ruin your golf trip faster than picking up your driver at the airport with a broken shaft.
What Is The Best Golf Travel Bag?
AmazonBasics Soft-Sided Golf Club Travel Bag Case with Wheels
We start our reviews with one of the best priced products online. In addition to a great price, this soft sided case has a lot to offer for the price. This is a good bag for new golfers who need a standard golf bag without all of the fancy bells and whistles that others have. It is not one of the hardcover golf travel bags which is a bit of concern for airline travel. However, it does provide very good protection of our gear and we would feel confident shipping our sticks in this bag.
- Made from nylon fabric with reinforced stress points and stands up when holding a set of clubs.
- Similar wheels to in-line skates with curb rail and riveted handles.
- Has a padded section to protect club heads.
- Has multiple pockets and compartments for extra storage.
- Lighter weight than other travel bags.
- Features a collapsible design for easier storage when not being used.
- Has a full-length zipper.
- Can hold a set of golf clubs already in a bag.
- Has a soft outside shell which means you may need to secure your golf clubs.
- Only comes in a solid black design.
SKB 2SKB-4814W Deluxe ATA Golf Case
When you are done reading this review, trying doing a search for the product online from memory. As far as travel golf bags go, this wins the award for the worst name. The SKB has inside dimensions of 48 by 14 inches, which is where it gets its name from.
It is able to maneuver through airports easily and has a tow handle that allows for easy carrying. It is highly rated online, and although we found the price and product to be solid, one customer rated it poorly because of the smaller dimensions.
- Made from polyethylene for high durability.
- Shaped so it can easily fit into cart and carry bags, and drivers.
- Easy design for TSA (Transportation Security Administration) inspection.
- Resistant to dust, dirt, and moisture, with a one million mile guarantee.
- In-line skate wheels.
- Can carry most bags that store drivers up to 48 inches.
- Only comes in black.
- Hard to search for customer reviews and price because of odd name.
CaddyDaddy Golf Constrictor 2 Travel Cover
The Constrictor is a soft case bag that while not in-line with other expensive models, is good as an inexpensive alternative. You can save some cash on this bag as the price is below many others, and invest that money in your next round under the sun.
- Can carry all bags up to 10-inch cart bags.
- Comes with lockable zippers on the main pocket as well as the two big side pockets.
- Has a padded top to keep club heads protected.
- In-line skate wheels.
- Comes with inside and outside straps to help keep clubs in place.
- Compact storage when not in use.
- Comes in black and gray, or black and navy.
- Can save quite a bit with excellent price.
- Does not have the same level of reinforcement as other travel bags.
- Soft case does cause concern during shipping unless heads are packaged properly.
Caddy Daddy Enforcer Hard Top Golf Travel Bag
The Enforcer is a heavy-duty case meant for airlines and trips and is built to handle the loading and unloading process. This falls under the well-made product menu, and makes shipping your gear pretty easy. Although the company claims to have a crush resistant hardtop, we believe we could destroy it if we really had nothing to do one afternoon. That being said, it is going to protect your drivers and irons during shipping.
- Crush resistant hardtop.
- Wrap around lockable zipper including lockable side pockets.
- Durable all-weather style fabric.
- Cover body and foldable rubber base allow for easy and simple storage.
- Weight is only nine pounds.
- Compression strap for secure clubs.
- Ergonomic handle.
- Only available in black.
- No aluminum rod to increase stiffness.
Bag Boy Golf T-10 Hard Top Travel Cover
This brand produces high-quality products that we have loved for years. The Bag Boy is designed with a hardtop and soft side design. Comes in a black and royal, or black and charcoal, color scheme. Although you will likely have to open for TSA, we also like that it has a full strap going around the case with a lock. The top is crush resistant and the wheels are extremely large making it easy for shipping and walking in the airport.
What we liked best was the inside which has a stand guard. Many times during shipping this part has been snapped off. This case keeps this part of the product safe.
- Interior Stand Guard.
- Crush resistant hardtop.
- Has polyester fabric meant for all weather.
- A lockable wrap-around zipper.
- In-line skate wheels.
- Two pockets for shoes or clothing.
- Softshell side design makes it a little less sturdy than other bags.
Sun Mountain Clubglider Journey Wheeled Cover
The Sun Mountain Clubglider was designed with transportation and keeping your clubs safe and secure during any type of transportation. You can secure your clubs inside with an internal cinch strap and rolls very easily through the airport. Compared to all of the other products reviewed, this has 4 wheels to transporting your sticks pretty simple. We did find that making turns with this bulky product was a bit more challenging compared to the others.
- Four Wheels for easy travel.
- Comes with dual two-way zippers.
- Two extra exterior pockets.
- High impact wheels used in rollerblades.
- Has reinforcement of vinyl to help with durability.
- Features extendable legs.
- Can hold a single stand or cart bag.
- Difficult to steer while moving through the airport.
- According to California Proposition 65, this may have been made with materials that are linked to cancer and reproductive harm.
Titleist Golf Club Travel Cover by ClubGlove
The Titleist by ClubGlove is a name brand cover which has been used by professionals on tours and is proven to be durable. The price on the Titleist bag is higher because the sort of customer that buys this brand isn’t concerned with price. Everything used on the bag is touted as premium, and it has three very large straps that will secure your clubs during travel. We wouldn’t spend the money for this product even though we love everything else Titleist releases from their irons to drivers and balls.
Made of fabric, this case is more likely to rip during airline shipping.
- Uses a ballistic nylon base for seemingly indestructible and resilient support.
- Zippers repel water.
- High-quality in-line skate wheels for a smooth and quiet glide.
- Has foam padding to protect the head of the clubs and a plastic bottom.
- Two outside shoe pockets
- More likely to rip compared to other products reviewed.
- Pricier than the other travel bags we reviewed
OGIO 2018 Mutant Travel Cover
The OGIO is a larger bag that allows for more storage, and with it is oversized wheels it only weighs 8 pounds. This is another Brand that we have grown to trust over the years and know they put out high-end products. Customer reviews online are also extremely positive, and focus on how big it actually is. Ideal for shipping on airlines to your next trip. Saves you from loading your shoes and other gear in a suitcase as you can add quite a bit in addition to clubs.
- Can fit tour and stand bags.
- Features oversized wheels.
- Padded compartment for club protection.
- Base comes with protective rails.
- Comes with exterior straps and outside pockets for more storage.
- Soft case with a reinforced base.
- Because of its large size, it can be too big for some people.
Samsonite Golf Deluxe 3 Piece Travel Set
In addition to the heavy-duty travel bag, the Deluxe Set features a duffel bag and shoe bag that allows for extra storage.
- Features a polyester shield for your clubs to help against the wear and tear of airline travel.
- Has a padded interior with foam to protect the heads of the clubs.
- In-line skate wheels which allow or pushing or pulling.
- Features mesh ventilation which prevents moisture and can hold 2 pairs of shoes.
- Comes with an extra duffel bag and shoe bag.
- Comes with an adjustable strap.
- Comes in many different colors.
- A little less durable than other bags.
Bag Boy T-2000 Travel Cover
The Bag Boy T-2000 has a unique design with unique features that help with travel and comfort. The grip is really cool as it swivels and pivots which really helped while walking. It has quite a bit of padding and the clubs including driver had room and we didn’t feel like they were wedged against the sides. We like to wrap golf towels around the drivers and irons to prevent them from flopping around during transport.
Plenty of space in this bag for everything, just be sure to keep under the 50 pounds so you are not charged an additional fee for being too heavy.
- Features an ergonomic grip which twists in conjunction with the bag position to help reduce arm and wrist twisting.
- The base is skid resistant.
- Has a lockable wrap-around main zipper.
- In-line skate wheels.
- Has a thin wrapped padded top.
- Contains two clothing pockets and and oversized show pocket.
- Less durable outside than other bags.
And The Winner Is…
Maybe the Samsonite isn’t your ideal bag, but there are still plenty of options to choose from when it comes to finding the bag for your needs. It is all about figuring out what you want out of a travel bag. Are you traveling far? How many clubs are you carrying? Do you need any extra features? These are questions you have to ask yourself, and the task can be daunting.
Finding the right clubs can be annoying, let alone finding the right bag. If you aren’t sure, you may want to ask any friends you have that play on a regular basis. They can provide insight into the bag best for you and maybe even take you with them for golfing sometimes. Golfing is fun and it shouldn’t be a frustration, and finding the right travel bag can help alleviate some of that before it even happens.
What is a Travel Bag?
Unlike other bags, the travel bag is made to be transported farther distances. They are made durable, usually from heavier materials or a hard case so your clubs can remain damage-free during the rigors of travel, including baggage-handling on flights or trains.
Travel bags can come with a hard or soft case. The hard case it was is best for long-distance traveling and can be easily put on airplanes with no damage to your equipment. While they can be more expensive, travel bags for airlines with hard cases also a softer inside case to provide extra protection.
Soft case travel bags are better if you are traveling a smaller distance. They are lighter and can fit in small cars. The bag has pads on the inside and sometimes comes with wheels for easier transportation.
What Are The Different Types of Golf Bags
While these are not travel bags, it is important to know the different kinds, since some travel bags can only accommodate certain bags.
These bags are used by PGA players on tour. They are high end and the most expensive. They are heavier in nature, but are more durable because of the high-quality materials. They also come in multiple color options and aesthetically pleasing designs. Unfortunately, due to the size, they are not easy to transport. Not many guys on the pro tour are lugging their iron sets through commercial airports.
They are smaller than staff bags and are designed to be transported in a cart. If you plan on walking the course, this is not an ideal bag. It can, however, be transported using a pushcart if you do plan on walking the course, putting less strain on your back. They are built for ease of access to your clubs and feature a rubber base, so the bag does not slip and fall off the cart.
These bags can be used for when you are walking the course or use a cart. They have two retractable legs which allow the bag to stand straight up or at a slant so you can access your clubs easier. These bags also come with straps similar to a backpack to evenly distribute the weight when carried on your shoulder and even come with ergonomic features for helping other parts of your body.
Also called “Sunday Bags,” these are specifically designed to be carried by anyone who plans to walk the course. They don’t have the legs like the stand bags, but they are easier to carry. They are the lightest types of bags, but come with the downside of being the least durable. Since they are meant for the leisure golfer, these bags come with the basic amenities, like one or two pockets and 2-way dividers. These bags are used to carry the basics like balls, tees, and ball markers. Don’t plan on showing your ball retrievers and shoes in this bag. You will have enough room for what you need, but not much more than that.
Things To Consider Before Purchasing
A few things to consider when buying a travel bag is storage space, maneuverability, and durability.
While it is not recommended to have too many pockets in your bag, having more space will allow you to bring more equipment should you need it. However, more items mean more weight. This also ties in with maneuverability as the heavier the bag is, the harder it is to transport. As stated before you may also want to have a bag with wheels.
You should also consider what types of straps you want for your bag. Your bag can have straps on the top, the side, or both. A bag with wide padded straps will prevent strain on your body as you carry it and search for your ball. .
Dividers sort your clubs and keep them separated to prevent them from banging against each other during play, and especially when shipping. While the number varies, you can get dividers that only divide at the top of cover the whole length of the bag. Some of the best golf bags that are highly rated contain a putter well which keeps your putter separate from the main dividers.
Some bags come with extra features like a towel ring, a glove attachment, a rain hood or an umbrella holder, and if you are lucky, a cooler for a beverage or two.
Travel Bag Golf Maintenance
To keep your new bag in good shape, you should wipe it off with a damp towel to clean off dirt, pollen or other debris. You should also be aware of what you keep in the pockets of the bag. If anything gets wet, you should wash and dry it before returning it to the bag to prevent mold from forming. You should also store your bag somewhere where it will not gather dust or get dirty. Covering it in a tarp or trash bag can also help prevent this.