Updated on November 29th, 2022 at 10:39 am
You’ve heard it countless times that you have to wear sunscreen and protect your face while on the golf course. You may have the best intentions to apply sunscreen, but there are times when we just don’t have the time or you simply forget.
Don’t sweat it! That is why we researched the best Wide Brimmed Golf Hats to keep you protected while looking good on the course.
Forgetting to wear sunscreen is understandable. You are likely coming to the course from the office, have limited time to warm up, and you need a few extra minutes to load up some beverages in your Beer cooler before you Tee It Up.
We understand, we deal with this situation every time we play.
That is why we tested and reviewed 10 Wide Brimmed Golf hats to find the perfect one for you. You can warm-up, play the first few holes, and then apply that sunscreen. But if find that perfect hat that keeps you even par through the first 4 holes, we doubt you are going to take it off.
Take a look at some of the best hats we found below.
Best Wide Brimmed Golf Hats Reviewed
Titleist Tour Aussie Hat
The size and design give very good protection when you’re out all day on the course. It also covers the back of your neck, a place many forget about. The string kept it in place whenever the wind picked up, though I personally don’t like the string design.
The hat did its job keeping me from burning, but it was hot to wear this one, it could do with a bit more ventilation.
- Quality materials, comfortable fit
- Holds up in the wind
- Fantastic sun coverage in all sensitive areas
- Hot to wear in warmer climates
Callaway Ladies High Tail Hat
The Callaway High Tail cap rounds out a women’s golf outfit with its unique low-profile design. This golf sun hat is made from polyester with a cooling sweatband to keep sweat from your eyes. The brim’s underside is black to keep light from reflecting into your eyes.
On the back, a large ponytail opening comfortably accommodates high and low ponytails to keep your hair from obstructing your view. Even better, the high-quality adjustable Velcro closure sticks well to hold the hat in place throughout your golf game.
- Machine washable
- Perfect fit
- Moisture wicking fabric
- Available in multiple colors
- The fabric is unlined
Aussie Chiller Bushie Perforated Golf Hat
The Aussie is made from chamois fabric, which is light and super-soft to the touch. The top part is perforated to allow excellent ventilation, but the most interesting part is how it works.
With this hat, you soak it in cold water for a while before using it, and it stays cool for up to 3 hours. I took it out on a Florida course, and I can tell you it works! I’m not 100% sold on the “cowboy” look, though.
- Unique design and cooling function
- Perforated top very effective for cooling
- Great protection for sensitive skin areas
- No strap means it’s somewhat vulnerable to strong winds
- “Cowboy” style not to everyone’s taste
Wallaroo Hat Company Men’s Avery Fedora
The Wallaroo’s fedora has a very classic look, and it’s made from Japanese glazed paper, which makes it very lightweight. It has metal eyelets for increased airflow and an adjustable inside band for a customizable and comfortable fit.
Overall, the hat looks good and feels light and cool. It’s a great option to consider if you are playing golf on hot summer days.
- A classic fedora suitable for hot weather
- A very lightweight hat
- It has metal eyelets that increase airflow to cool your head
- Available in two sizes
- Affordable price
- Not very durable
- The crown is slightly askew
Adidas Men’s Golf Sun Hat
The Adidas men’s golf hat is made from polyester, and it’s double weaved. The hat has a wide brim design and a drawstring closure that enables a customizable fit. It has a removable bungee drawcord with stopper, and it’s available in two colors – white and grey.
Overall, this hat conforms to the quality of Adidas products. It’s light but durable, and the wide brim helps to keep the sun off your face.
- Made by a reputable brand
- A lightweight hat made from polyester
- Plain and simple design
- The hat has a wide brim for added sun protection
- It has vents at the top for extra breathability
- Drawstring closure design ensures the hat fits you perfectly
- Not a good option for people with smaller heads. Looks large and sturdy
Mission Enduracool Cooling Bucket Hat Adult
This hat is made of polyester. It’s lightweight, easy to pack, fold, and carry with you wherever you go. It has an adjustable elastic chin strap for added comfort and a better fit, and brass pin snaps on both sides.
The best thing about this hat is that it’s designed to keep your head cool. It can be instantly cooled down by “activating” the hat with water. Just wet the hat, wring it and wave it to have it cool down completely. A weirdly refreshing hat!
- Polyester makes this hat very lightweight
- Easy to pack and carry in your pocket
- Has a “cooling mechanism” that will help you stay cool and feel refreshed during hot summer days
- Only suited to hot days and won’t be as helpful come the fall
Sunday Afternoons Charter Hat
This one came with some really pleasing features, like the sunglasses lock that keeps your shades in place, the hidden pocket in the crown, and easy-to-adjust sizing.
The UPF 50+ mesh ventilation was also really effective. I don’t remember feeling too hot in this hat the entire time I was wearing it. I wanted to take the chin strap off because it was a windless day, but unfortunately could not.
- UPF 50+ material gives great sun protection and ventilation
- Extremely comfortable
- Great features
- Can’t remove chin strap
Stetson Gambler Seagrass Outdoorsman Hat
The seagrass look has so much old-world charm. It looks great to wear. You get the great Stetson name with added innovations like the protective fabric in the rim and crown giving UPF 50+ sun protection.
This isn’t the cheapest hat on the list, but I have to say, after only a few times wearing it, I already feel the materials starting to give a little. It’s perhaps not meant for the heavy duties of the golf course.
- Beautiful design
- Protective and well ventilated
- Goes with everything
- Materials don’t feel up to heavy-duty use or too-frequent wearing
Coolibar Men’s UPF 50+ Fairway Golf Hat
The Coolibar has a very effective 3-inch brim that gave perfect coverage. The “fedora” look is also quite stylish and garnered quite a few compliments on the course. It looks even better when you appreciate the details like the leather trim.
It looks the part and does its job, but you should know that the Coolibar doesn’t always travel so well. Beware the crushing power of your golf cart bag on this otherwise lovely hat.
- Attractive design
- Great sun coverage
- Holds up well in wind, thanks to its inner flex-band
- Doesn’t travel well, crumples/crushes easily in your bag
Bridgestone Golf Boonie hat/Aussie Bucket Hat
UPDATE: Bridgestone Golf Boonie Hat is not Available! If it was, it would be our top pick!
Please feel free to continue to check the link above, which goes to the Bridgestone Golf Store, for it to be back in stock. We are checking it regularly!!!
It’s hard to go wrong with Bridgestone. The attractive black edging around the rim makes for a striking appearance. I got compliments from buddies as well as club staff. They loved this one.
While not as perforated as some of the other models in this list, the perforation holes themselves are more than adequate, and the light material makes it comfortable in all conditions.
- Minimalist and stylish design
- Durable yet comfortable materials
- Additional CoolMax sweatband for added heat management
- Fits quite snugly
Mizuno Large Brim Sun Hat
While having some design similarities to the Bridgestone, the Mizuno was a little bit more of a letdown. The hat fit well, was comfortable and well ventilated, but its proportions were disappointing.
This hat is great if you don’t golf too often. It’s a great price, easy to carry, and feels like a quality item to the touch. For me, the brim was a bit big, and as the day went on, it became a little bit of a hindrance at times.
- Well-made and affordable
- Attractive design
- Ventilates great
- Brim too large, starts to flop and get in your eyeline
Coolibar Men’s UPF50+ UV Protective
When you need guaranteed sun protection, you should go for the hat that the cancer charities approve of – the Coolibar Men’s UPF 50+. The American Skin Cancer Foundation recommends this model.
The fabric is lightweight and crushable without losing form, so it’s fine in your golf bag. The light material does flap a bit much when it gets windy, which can get irritating.
- Fantastic UV protection
- Chin strap detachable
- Lightweight but durable materials
- Flaps too much in the wind
- I didn’t like the grey color, would be better in white
Nike Golf UV Sun Bucket Golf Hat
This was probably the best-fitting of all the hats I tried, thanks to the flexible fabric they use. The dark material makes the laser perforations subtler, which creates a more attractive look.
There is a drawcord at the back to make it a tighter fit when it gets windy, but it would be better to have an optional strap. It came off twice during one windy round.
- A natural, comfortable fit thanks to the flexible fabric
- Lightweight; you don’t feel it so much when wearing
- Attractive design
- Brim offers ideal sun protection
- Needs an optional chin strap for windy days
Under Armour Men’s ArmourVent Bucket Hat
Under Armour is an excellent brand, and their bucket hat is well crafted, breathable, and made of a durable, comfortable stretchy fabric. It only offers UPF 30 protection, which isn’t as much as others, but it does the job.
The built-in sweatband was a nice touch. I loved that it is machine washable. A lot of hats are handwash only.
- Stretchy fabric is comfortable
- Sweatband and light fabric keep you cool and dry
- It dries really fast
- Machine washable
- Not as powerful in UV protection
The Best Wide Brim Golf Hat Is…
Titleist Men’s Tour Aussie Golf Hat
The Titleist Men’s Tour Aussie is the best overall wide brimmed golf hat on the market. Titleist know what the best players in the game need, and they use top fabrics and technology to produce their products. The great thing about the Tour Aussie is that it is enjoyable to wear while also being effective. Whether you want to stay cool, protected from the sun, or both, the Titleist Tour Aussie checks all the boxes.
AEC Info reviews of other Golf hats:
Why use a wide-brimmed golf hat?
When you see golfers on TV, most of them wear baseball caps and the occasional pair of Oakley Radar EV Path flipped around on the backside of the cap. Many, perhaps, for brand endorsement purposes, but in my opinion, they would benefit more from a wide-brimmed golf hat, because:
- They offer better protection: A baseball cap protects your face very well, but it doesn’t do anything for the back of your neck. This is a very sensitive spot for sunburn, and when you’re out all day on the links, you need all the Lotion, Sunscreen and UV protection you can get.
- They stay on better in wind: Wide-brimmed golf hats typically come with a chin strap, which is sometimes detachable. When the wind picks up, you can secure your hat without losing your sun protection.
- They’re light and comfortable: Wide-brim hats are not just more protective, but usually more comfortable. Companies often use lightweight materials and add perforations for proper ventilation. This makes for a comfortable day on the course.
What is the best golf hat for hot weather?
If you’re golfing in a hot climate, then the right hat on your head will make a huge difference to your experience. What qualities make for the perfect hot-weather golf bucket hats?
- Ventilation is by far and away, the most essential factor. You need a hat with perforations, ventilation holes, or at the very least, a light, breathable fabric.
- A built-in sweatband is a fantastic addition that will capture and deal with excess sweat. Sweat is a reality in hot climates, so a sweatband is a must.
- A wide brim with additional UV-protective layers in the brim and crown will ensure that on an aggressively sunny day, you can avoid sunburn.